From a plaque mounted on a steeple cross from the original mission:
“This is the original steeple cross from St. Gabriel’s Catholic Mission, built in 1921 by early Catholic settlers who came into the area. Prominent among them was D.E. Charlebois, a homesteader and carpenter. He designed and helped build this church and the cross which sat atop it for 82 years. This site is dedicated to all of the families who helped to build it and worshipped in it for many years.
It is also dedicated in part to the sons and daughters of those early settlers, some of who now, and those that choose to in the future, lie under or in the shadow of the cross. To the sanctity and love of family.”