Five Mile Cemetery came into existence in 1904 when Mike Frederickson and Martin O. Berg donated part of their homesteads as burial grounds for members and friends of Nidaros Lutheran congregation. The Five Mile school was built in 1906 across the road to the north. Services were then held in the school. As of 2023, Five Mile Cemetery had 99 interments. Five Mile cemetery is located a 5 minute drive straight east of the Town of Claresholm. In turn, Claresholm is located about an hour and a half’s drive south east of Calgary.
The location of present day Claresholm was originally a watering stop for steam engines on the Canadian Pacific Railway line along the Macleod Trail when the trains first arrived in the area in 1891. The first settlers arrived in 1902, and the village was established in 1903. Claresholm was incorporated as a town in 1905, the year Alberta became a province. The community was named after Clare Niblock, a pioneer citizen.