The City of Airdrie was first established as a railway siding in 1889 during the construction of the Calgary and Edmonton Railway. The community was named after Airdrie, Scotland. Airdrie was officially incorporated as a town in 1909 and became a city in 1985. This thriving centre had a population of 86,000 by the end of 2023, making it the 5th largest city in Alberta (after Calgary, Edmonton, Lethbridge, and Red Deer). Its average age was 35. Many residents in this bedroom community commute to nearby Calgary for work.
The Airdrie Cemetery was first established in 1908 when the Village of Airdrie purchased ten acres of land from the farms of George Hatt and Frank Winters. Before this, residents of Airdrie were buried either in a Calgary cemetery or somewhere on their own land. The first residents of the Airdrie Cemetery were buried in 1909. The cemetery has seen many residents over the years, especially during the Spanish Influenza epidemic in 1918-1919. Today, the Airdrie Cemetery offers traditional burial lots, cremation burial lots, a Field of Honour section for veterans, as well as four Columbaria for cremation urns.