The Newburg Church of God was started as a German speaking congregation. Organizational meetings were held in various homes, with the first recorded minutes dated February 03, 1925.
Estimates for material to build the church and barn were received from the Revelstoke Sawmill Company Limited on December 11,1925. Board members August Jans, Dan Wirsch, and Emanuel Doering signed the promissory note for all the building material. Construction started May 1926, with Jacob Dais as the designated builder. He was assisted by numerous area pioneers.
All meeting minutes were recorded in German from 1925 to 1948, then in English including the final minutes in 1966. The barn was sold and moved from the site in 1951 and after considerable vandalism, the church building, was sold in 1973.
Some of the Ministers and Evangelists that served this congregation were: Reverends Butgereit, J. Weins, L. Millensifer, M. Babel, J. Tjart, C. Arbeiter, A. Schneider, Krause, J. Reimchen and R. Farmer.
The cemetery is located on the west side of Highway 41 at the junction of Township Road 102. As at September 01, 1996, the grass was observed as recently cut inside the chain link cemetery area. This fence is inside another fence that surrounds the two acre plot. The congregation erected a cairn in 1975 which lists all those interred here as well as the interment dates.
There are only about ten marked graves. The first burial was in October 1925 and the last burial was in June 1944.
Courtesy of Medicine Hat and District Genealogical Society (MHDGS)