Hainstock cemetery is located about three miles west of the Town of Olds at the intersection of Highway 27 and Rge. Rd. 22. The present site of the Hainstock Cemetery was chosen in 1885, made necessary because during those early wet years, the water level on the lower area was six feet down.
The first minutes of any meeting that we have a record of are dated May 9, 1900.E. Bame and H.L. Briggs were president and secretary. Others in attendance included C.L. Holmes, C. Horner, A.J. Copley, A. Brown, James Downes, John Becker, A. Wright, Frazier, A.L. Ramsey, J. Morphy and W. Craig.
In 1900 a grave plot cost $2.00 and a man was paid $2.00 for digging it. In 1909 grave digging was raised to $3.00 in the summer and $6.00 in the winter.
A box social was held April 20, 1903 “for the benefit of the cemetery”.
On April 4, 1911, $3.10 was paid for the deed for the cemetery of two acres. Another acre was added in later years.
It had always been called the Fairview Cemetery but in 1946 it was found that it had not been legally organized and registered and was denied the right to call it Fairview as there were already three other cemeteries in Alberta with that name. It was then decided to call it Hainstock Cemetery and it was duly registered.
Source – https://www.hainstockcemetery.org/history
|Surname||Given Name||Born||Died||Age||Cemetery||Location||Obituary||Narrative||R Code|