A Seventh-Day Adventist church was built at Harmattan, then called Harrison, in 1906. Land for the church and its adjacent cemetery was donated by Danish-born local resident Niels Petersen. He was buried at the cemetery in 1913. In 1938, the church and the cemetery were sold to the Church of the Nazare. In 1998, the Church of the Nazarene sold the church back to the Seventh-Day Adventists, who relocated it.
There were some tragic deaths over the years. One such was Pearl Astleford (1880 – 1914) who is buried at the cemetery. She had the misfortune to be crossing the Little Red Deer River on a horse drawn wagon. The wagon hit a bump, the horses spooked, Astleford was pitched off and the wagon ran over her head.
The Harmattan cemetery is a 20-minute drive Southwest of Olds. The cemetery was still active as of 2008, but most of the plots have been sold.