Rockyford and its Cemeteries

The village of Rockyford was named by a chief surveyor of the Canadian Northern Railway Company. The main channel of the Serviceberry Creek was narrow and deep and could not be crossed without difficulty even with a saddle and horse. The indigenous people used the ‘rocky ford’ to cross the creek on their way from Gleichen to their camp in the sand hills west of Baintree. The surveyors found it by simply following an old prairie trail and used it while surveying for a right of way to Calgary in 1908.

The first general store was opened in 1912 by Theodore Wiens, who moved here with his family from Iowa. In 1913 the Canadian Northern Railway was built along with a small grain elevator built by Parrish and Heimbecker. In 1914 the post office, a bank and the public school began operating. In 1915 the hardware store opened. Another general store opened in 1916 and telephone service began in 1917. Various businesses opened over the next several years and many continue to this day.

After several years of services being held in private homes, St. Rita’s Catholic church opened in 1918 on land donated by William Rudd. The Methodist church organized a pastoral charge in 1915 whose centre was in Tudor with services being held in schoolhouses. The church was built and dedicated on October 18, 1921. The church building was later moved to Rockyford. St. Rita’s cemetery is located directly west of the church while the Rockyford Union Cemetery is out of town about 3 km northwest, both on land donated by William Rudd.

Excerpted from “Where We Crossed the Creek and Settled” from contributor & AFHS member Sandi Miller.

Deaths

Longevity

Address

Twp Rd 263 & Range Rd 234
Nearest Populated Centre: Rockyford,
Province: Alberta

Map Location

Latitude, Longitude
51.24406, -113.16735

Map Location

Search for:
RESET
Surname Given Name Born Died Age Photos Cemetery R Code

The 25 most common surnames found in this cemetery.

loader

The 25 most common given names found in this cemetery.

loader

Other Cemeteries

East Olds Baptist Cemetery (Mountain View County)

Highway 27 (east of Olds) , Olds , Alberta

St. Joseph's Cemetery (Three Hills, Kneehill County)

Secondary Highway 583 just west of Three Hills , Three Hills , Alberta

Goddard Cemetery (Forty Mile County)

Township Road 121 and Range Road 50 , Foremost , Alberta

Russian Colony Cemetery (Ponoka County)

Highway 771 & Township Road 443 , Homeglen (or Home Glen) , Alberta

Jenner Old Cemetery (Special Area No. 2)

Township Road 210 W of Jenner , Jenner , Alberta

Friedens Cemetery (Special Area No. 2)

Range Road 151 and Township Road 300 , Hanna , Alberta

Bloomsbury Pentecostal Cemetery (Barrhead County)

Township Road 604 and Range Road 35 , Bloomsbury , Alberta

Irricana Town Cemetery (Rocky View County)

Cemetery Rd & Hendricks Dr , Irricana , Alberta

Congregational Matthaus Cemetery (Cypress County)

Rge Rd 23 between Twp Rs 154 and 160 , Schuler , Alberta

Lomond Cemetery

Highway 531 & Range Road 202 , Lomond , Alberta

Discover Alberta Ancestors